Saturday, September 21, 2013

Women's Team - Day 5 - Sometimes "thank you" is too small...


Today it is hard to find words to describe something that is felt in your heart. All of the words I can think of do not seem to mean enough. Sometimes "thank you" is too small to describe a true depth of gratitude. "I love you" cannot convey the sincerity of the sentiment all of the time. I feel raw. Like I just fell off my bike and got some serious road burn all over my heart. 

We went to teach a special group of girls today. It is as if all of the information we had to give was arriving too late. It is hard to teach about puberty while watching a girl nurse her baby while sitting in a detention center. Our planed schedule of events got turned on its head but this allowed us to have more one on one time with the caregivers. This time turned out to be very valuable as we learned some of the information we had to share was new for these women as well as the girls. We were overwhelmed. We were prepared to teach, just not to discover how this place has longed and suffered for this information for so long. 

My heart was broken. I do believe that my raw heart made it easier to find joy. It was joyful to see lots of smiles, give lots of hugs and know that we showed love and encouragement to a group of girls and women who do not often receive it. I have to remind myself that God is present in this place and has made me a very small part of his plan there. We are not sure where these emotions and broken hearts will lead us but will love to tell you about it in person when we get back. 

Just one more sleep and we will be on our way home. This trip feels way too short and the work way too much. 

On behalf of the team,

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment