Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Women's Team - Day 3 - What a Great Day...



Today was so good we didn't even take any pictures, except for the one you have been waiting for…  We were able to take delivery of 3 boxes from the AFRI-Pads office totaling 310 kits! Can you believe it, a grand total of 310 kits!! I can barely believe it myself. It was so great to finally meet everyone at the office and see what all of you gave so generously to buy.

Sophia one of the founders of AFRI-Pads taught us how to teach girls to use, clean, and reuse this product. Jana especially, is so excited to teach this to the young ladies in Buloba tomorrow. 

Today we also got to visit a place that is very special in my heart but is not talked about much. This will mark my third visit and I can say what was once a very dark place is now filled with light. I am overjoyed with some of the things I saw today and hope that you will sing praises to the Lord with me for transformation, and redemption. 

There are not really any more details that I can give about what we did today. You may be thinking, "Okay you have been there on the ground for three days, I keep coming to see what you are up to and it is nothing!" BUT we have been building relationships! We have enjoyed getting to know people who know Uganda better then we do. They also know what challenges women and girls face here better then we do. Why is that important? Because we didn't come all of this way to talk about what American women and girls struggle with but with what all women and girls struggle with. And we want to do it in a way that is understood. That takes research, and time, and relationships. How many of you jump at the chance to talk to a stranger from another country about your period?  

What we have planned for tomorrow is awesome! I will give you our vision: Spend three hours doing everything we can to make each young woman who comes feel special and amazing. The tricky part is to have them learn something about their body and spirit at the same time. I cannot wait to tell you all about it!

On behalf of the team,

-Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment