Monday, September 16, 2013

Women's Team - Day 2 - More than just cake...




Over the past two days I have learned that instead of just being yummy, wedding cake is significant. I love wedding cake but rarely think about it more than, "What flavor will it be?" "What will the topper look like?" or "I wonder how much that cost…" In America cake is important but only on a superficial level. In the past two days I have been presented wedding cake three times and each time it meant something. I already discussed how the bride and groom gave us cake yesterday as a sign of respect. This morning the church was presented with a tier of the wedding cake as a gift of gratitude. We were asked to cut the cake and give a piece to each person at church as a sign of the love the bride and groom have for the members of the church. The pastor also prayed that it would be the first of many more wedding cakes shared in the church as the number of marriages increased. We were also served with cake at Pastor Eva's house after lunch. This was a way of including us in the joy she had as one of the hostesses for the wedding. So to answer my questions, the flavor was coconut, it was decorated with ribbon and flowers, and the cost was an immeasurable amount of love!

I know next time I get the chance to eat wedding cake I will not be asking myself what it costs. Instead my heart will be filled with joy and know that I am respected and important to the Bride and Groom. 

Today was a special time for Kim and Jana as they were introduced to the children they sponsor for the first time. Kim also had the chance to reconnect with some of the children her family hosted in their home from the Mwaganza children's choir. It is such an encouragement to see these relationships continue to grow between our communities despite the distance. Everywhere we go there has been a familiar face waiting to greet us! Today we also had the chance to personally invite some girl's to the conference in Buloba on Tuesday. Their faces lit up with pure joy to have something that was being given just for them and I am already anticipating the fun that we will all have!

Tommorow we will pick up the AFRI-Pads that so many of our friends helped us to buy. I am not sure if you know how many we were able to buy but let's just say that we "dreamed big." I would love to tell you a number but I would rather show you a picture tomorrow! 

I am sleepy and feel like this is overly cheerful for me so I am going to stop before I make it so sweet you can almost taste the cake!!

On behalf of the team,

Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment